Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Best lesson ever!

At the beginning of my lesson today I brought in my voice lesson student to see if Dr.Hepworth could get her to sing in her head voice because I could not figure it out. Well, of course, from the get go she was singing spot on in her head voice. After we got that figured out Aubrey left and we were just going to run through all my rep. When I was practicing last night I kind of thought I had a break through, but I wasn't really sure so I told her. We started with O cessate and it was the best reaction ever. Right away I started singing in my big girl voice and I saw a look of like surprise cross Dr.Hepworth's face and she looked like she wanted to stop, but we kept going til I finished the song and she was super proud of me. When I was practicing last night I didn't make my break through til like the end of practice so I was getting kind of tired so I only ran through a couple of parts of songs after that so I wasn't sure if I would be able to keep it up. Much to me and Dr.Hepworth's delight I kept singing correctly all through An die musik and the rest of my rep :) It felt sooooooooooooooooooo freaking good to know that my hard work is really starting to take shape, and that I figured it out all by myself. Well, of course I would be absolutely no where without Dr.Hepworth, but without taking the time by myself and playing around with my voice I still be stuck where I was a year ago. I was so proud of myself at how happy and excited Dr.Hepworth was. That was one of the greatest feelings of accomplishment ever. What I figured out was how to open the back of my throat. I thought if I did that then it would be too dark of a sound, but it felt so full that I had a pretty good feeling about it. This week I'm going to work on memorizing my rep, and I'm still missing some pronunciations on An die musik. Now I need to start focusing on consistency. When I had practice with phil it wawsn't as good as it was in my lesson, but my voice was getting pretty tired because I had went through practice, choir, and a voice lesson. I'm really excited for the direction I am heading in, and I love feeling like I know what I'm doing. Good things are happening, finally! It's so weird because just like last week I was feeling super discouraged, and now it's a complete turn around. Consistency consistency consistency! That is my main goal now.

1 comment:

  1. I just about cried again when I read your blog. What an amazingly successful and productive lesson! Isn't it amazing how things change in the blink of an eye?!? I REALLY love that you stated, "consistency, consistency, consistency." It was fate that we just talked about that in vocal pedagogy on Tuesday!
    Ah! All the pieces of the puzzle are finally finding their rightful homes! Keep up the great work, Jackie. I am SOOOO PROUD!

    ReplyDelete