Monday, September 26, 2011

Nolan's first voice lesson......

Holy. Crap. That was the hardest thing ever. I suck. I had a lesson plan all figured out, and I knew exactly what I wanted to do and what I wanted to say and the lesson started and I just lost my mind. I realized as the lesson was going on that I didn't have things in the order I wanted them on my lesson plan. Since I was jumping around I was getting lost and confused. We started with breathing and he didn't know how to breathe with his stomach. I guess I just anticipated that people would know how to do stuff versus having to explain it a thousand different ways. But good grief that's what teaching is all about, and I know that. I guess I just wasn't as mentally prepared as I thought I was. Also, I really really really really REALLY wish I would've chosen a girl. I didn't even think about that til it was too late. I know that most singing techniques are the same for boys and girls but it's just so much harder to deal with head and chest voice because I'm really unsure of when he's supposed to use what. Especially since he has no idea what the difference is. I had a tough time trying to figure out his range but I think that will hopefully get better once we try out a few songs and see what he wants to sing. It is so much different from actually singing yourself to telling someone how to do it. I'm trying really hard to not get frustrated, I just feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I know the right things to do, I guess I just don't know the right things to say. I don't want to say this, but I really hope that I can do this. Like the whole teaching thing. I want to more than anything, and I know this is the first time I've even tried anything like this but I just feel like it went awful. For the next lesson I'm going to have a more specific lesson plan and I'm going to make sure it's in the right order so I don't feel so lost. I had a really tough time trying to figure out the right warm ups to do too. I guess I'm just going to try and prepare even more for next week and see if that will help at all.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie....

    Actually, this is fate. Many people do not know how to teach men for the very reason that they avoid having many in their studio. This is exciting! I am so glad that you have chosen a male to teach....this will actually teach YOU more about how to communicate with another person concepts that are difficult to grasp.
    It is normal to crash and burn on your first lesson...I am just glad that you are able to crash and bun here and not in your own studio when I am not around.
    I am glad you have a more specific plan for your next lesson. Just think: you have nowhere to go but up!!! Keep your chin up, lady. You have a gift.

    Dr. H.

    ReplyDelete