Thursday, March 24, 2011

Buzz buzz.

This week I focused a lot on my Italian pieces. One of the big things I worked on were trilling my rs on pitch. I also hammered down a few rhythms I was having a few difficulties in Vergin Tutto Amor and Tu Lo Sai. I also got a new song this week which is just an English song called "To A Wild Rose". I like it a ton better than "If Music Be the Food of Love". I really don't know why I don't like that song, but it just annoys me for some reason. It's really awesome that Dr.Hepworth let me kick that one out of my repitoire because a lot of teachers would just make you suck it up and sing it anyways. I still really can't figure out the buzz thing. The thing that confuses me is I think I know when I have it, but then other times Dr.Hepworth will tell me that I'm doing well, but I can't feel a buzz at all. Is it supposed to be like really apparent or what? This buzz thing is driving me up the wall! And I know I'm supposed to find it by getting my tongue out of the way of my throat but I cannot freaking figure it out. I'm hoping someday it will just click and all my problems will magically vanish. April 20th is when I have to sing on recital and it is looming closer and closer. I think I am going to sing "Vergin Tutto Amore", but we shall see.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie....I am so glad you are commenting about the idea of "buzz"....it is primarily a "resonant" or "strong" feeling in the mask of the face (i.e. nose, cheekbones, mouth, sometimes forehead). It is also an "easy" feeling when singing...something you are not needing to work for. The tricky part is finding it each time you are practicing or singing in choir. When you go to choir, try to implement the techniques we use in lessons to "practice" good vocal sounds. Singing should no longer be something you do instinctively. You should always be thinking, evaluating, and analyzing the sound, the tongue, the mouth, the lips, the jaw, the throat, the breath, your posture, etc. The more you are monitoring these things, the more likely you will be able to reproduce good vocal technique each time you open your mouth. I think you may need to spend more time each day with these basic elements in practice. Sometimes I would spend hours in a practice room reproducing the "buzz" or working on experimenting what would happen if I moved my tongue just a little more forward, etc. Start relying on your own smarts and ability to troubleshoot in the practice room.....
    Keep up the great work...you are on your way!

    ReplyDelete